Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My English has a Problem!? So what?

People who talked to me in English have very different opinions on what my English level is. To be more accurate, it's my accent that people have different comments about.

Some people, when they talked to me says...
"Hey, I like your English, you speak very well in English, I want to learn more from you!"
For those friends of mine, I thank you very much for the compliment. Really, it's a sort of motivation for me to keep speaking the way I am comfortable with. However, there are some advice to all locals reading this post.

1) To be good in speaking English, it doesn't mean you need to have a British, American or Australian accent. We are Malaysians, it is inappropriate to say that having a Malaysian accent in English speaking is wrong.
2) The most important thing is not the accent, but the message that you want to present to your prospects. If they understand what you are talking about, you are speaking a good enough English.
3) Being really good in English speaking really has no connection to the accents, but if you can speak correct structured sentences clearly, that is enough.
4) There is no two person who speaks in exactly the same sound, so why are we so certain that the accent from the west is standard?
So, my friends, I do encourage people to talk to me, but don't be so concerned on the accent. If you are confident with it, it's your style, be proud of it.

Now, on the other hand some people said...
"Stop speaking with that AAUUUSSSTTTRRRALLLIIIAAANNN accent la.... You should be ashamed of yourself for NOT SPEAKING LIKE A MALAYSIAN. Stop acting and showing off la..." (Especially by "mentor" and "Mrs. mentor")
Ok, this I must clear my innocence. I speak like that because I enjoy speaking like that. It's one of my hobbies to play around with different accents. And in the end, I cannot really speak Malaysian English comfortably.
I am comfortable with my current accent, and it's not really because I envy the West.
I never condemn anyone for their accents, and I think that is fair enough to let me speak in the accent I want. Get a life!

What I want to conclude is, the most important things are that you are comfortable and your messages get through.

Don't focus or condemn accents. Peace.

2 comments:

LeisuRely said...

Mr Mentor = Anthony
Mrs Mentor = Wye Lyng

am i rite ??? xD

McGyver said...

Shhhh.....
They dun wanna admit one...
keep low...